Ethos and values
At Marlborough Primary school our ethos is ‘We try to be our best selves and treat others as we would like to be treated.’
Everyone works together to value and celebrate the diversity of our society and to promote respect, tolerance and understanding of all, as part of preparing our children to be good citizens in a modern British society.
Our ethos links directly to our 5 golden rules:
- We work hard and give our best,
- We look after property,
- We are kind and gentle to each other,
- We show respect for each other,
- We are honest.
Our school motto is ‘Bright minds, bright futures’.
All those involved with Marlborough Primary School in Washington aim to provide every child with opportunities to acquire the skills to enable them to learn the things they need for a bright future. They are encouraged to be creative, enthusiastic and risk taking in their learning.
Our school values are represented by the Building Learning Powers animals. They are as follows:
- Elephant (Relationships) - I can learn from and learn with others towards a shared goal.
- Fox (Reflectiveness) - I am able to thin and talk about what I have learnt and how I have learnt it.
- Beaver (Resourcefulness) – I am ready, willing and able to learn in different ways.
- Monkey (Risk-taking) - I am prepared to have a go even if there is a possibility of failure.
- Penguin (Resilience) – I can stick at tasks even when they become difficult.
By rewarding children when they display any of the Building Learning Powers, we believe this encourages these qualities, and underlies all teaching practice.
There are several ways of communicating the ethos and values to those around us. The most important people who need to know them are the children. The best way to inform them is by displaying the behaviour which demonstrates them. At Marlborough Primary School, every adult in the school attempts to display these qualities and thereby model the behaviour we hope to see.